Saturday, December 12, 2009

Its Genetic?

Sometime long long ago, I came the conclusion that my Family wasnt exactly what the professionals would refer too as "Normal". So it always makes for a wonderful review of "Who" I think I closest too, or "Most Like" in my family. I am the oldest of 5 siblings, and the Only Child of my Parents. They divorced when I was a tike, and both have remarried, and divorced throughout my life. I love them both, but I dont take parental advice from either of them. That Role has been left up too various people in my Life, including My Grandparents,Some well respected Friends, and in Florida a  Teacher, and a Neighbor by the name of Mr. Ed. He influenced some of my most important years, and I think about him often.

Recently I have been given the privilage of reading through thousands of pages of medical history, and I have come to the conclusion that Physicaly I am "Most" like my Grandpa Dave. Between the two of us, we put a fair dent in the ICD codes. He passed away in 2002 after a very full, yet trying life.

What an introduction to the topic of "Dumb Ideas" which is really what I am getting after here. Several years ago, I began to bond with some long lost Cousins and soon discovered that they were very free spirited, and recreationaly creative. Soon, we were sleding behind Clydsedale hores, attaching Magnetic Drink mugs to the roof of the truck and driving down the freeway to watch people react, using staple guns to perform general cosmetic surgery, placing bets on who could down the Raw Egg, Cat food, and Mustard coctail the fastest, shooting eachother with airsoft guns, and most recently taking part in a Ceremonial Animal Shocking Device demonstration. (NO Animals were used during the testing or Ceremony).

Now I think I should explain a little bit of background as to some of what makes up my family:
Several Multi Champ Bull Riders, A few Pro Horse competitors, Several Professionals in the Medical field, Chemical Experts, Truck Drivers, a Pysicic, Musicians, Mechanics, Drug Addicts, and I even have a Cousin who I have never met that is in Prison for Murder.  That said it should come as no suprise to any of you that know me, I consider myself a bit of an "Outcast" at times. Now dont fool yourself, I have made my fair share of mistakes, But I kinda stand out as the Guy with a College Education, who Served a LDS Mission in a foriegn country, and I have spent the better part of my working life, working to solve someone elses problems.

 On any given day I communicate with people I consider great Friends varying in shape, size and Culture. Old, Young, Students I have taught, Teachers who taught me, Baptists, Catholics, and Mormons alike. I could comfortably introduce a stranger to a: Deaf Person, a Law Student, an Olympian, a Recovered Alcoholic, a Compulsive Gambler, a Straight man with HIV who has never used elicit drugs, a Gay man without HIV who works in the Construction Industry, and yes, even a African American! All of whom I consider my friends. (Sorry if I left you out :) ) Now thats not to say that I am anyone special for Modern day America, but Developing those relationships I believe has made me much more of the person that I am today, than my Genetic Code. OR SO I THOUGHT.

Today I found myself hiking to the top of large snow covered sand dunes, and racing down them on skis, and when that got old, I tied a rope to the back of the truck and while my Dad reenacted his favorite Driving Skills from Ice Road Truckers, I was tagging along behind the truck on my skis, perfecting my crossovers, all while dodging the open range sheep. So I guess no matter how classy or cultured or learned I attempt to become, I will forever be in my own way "ME" with a genetic destiny of Adventure.

I believe I am catching the vision of blogging.

1 comment:

  1. Josh, I was exploring your facebook to add you and stumbled upon this blog. Hope you don't mind. I thought this post was particularly touching because I often question my genetics. I am glad that I am not alone in this crazy family. Is that my brother you spoke of, it must be. I am happy to know that people know about what happened and that you think about it. My family doesn't talk about it. I never talk about it. It was nice to see it there in an honest statement in your blog. Over the holidays my therpist assigned me to write about my childhood, so I guess that is why I am affected so much by a simple statement on your blog. I wish you well, and hope to talk more sometime.

    Love,
    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Please be mindful of others, currently my Blog Comments are open to Anonymous Users. Abuse of this privilage will force me to limit Comments to Registered Users. Authors Note: Comments are not moderated, therfore opinons expressed here are not approved by the blog Author.