Thursday, December 24, 2009

'Twas the night before Christmas...

I was up around 7 A.M. thinking to myself that "Its here, the BIG day is here" the Legendary Night before Christmas. A night who's significance is etched in history by Glorious Visions, Bright Stars,a Humble Birth, and in the Timeless words of John Sullivan Dwight:

"It is the night of Our dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world In sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd And the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope The weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks A new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! O, hear the angels' voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;"
 
What an Image! To reflect on those words, and the countless historical "Night Before Christmas" Stories that are shared year after year. My expectations for today, and tonight are distinct from those images of the well rehearsed past. But I am grateful for a lot of wonderful things this Christmas, and I am committed to spending some personal time reflecting on the True Meaning of Christmas.
Now you don't think that I am actually going to take time to write just about the Mushy Stuff of Christmas do you? Oh No...Not me! I have plenty to say about the reality of how I expect today to go. Allow me to share:  The in home hussle started about 7 A.M. there is still fudge to be made, and countless last minute gifts that need wrapped and delivered. Undoubtedly there will be Sports Highlights from this weeks biggest games cluttering the Televisions between Christmas Classics. Of course there is still traveling to be done, while I am where I need to be, my Dad and others still have hundreds of miles to cover in the next 24 hours. The trash cans are full, the 4 Wheeler needs to be put away, the front walk needs salt, the Wood Stove will need constant attention, oh and the phone, there will be lots of time spent recieving all those Happy Holiday text messages! As for tonights dinner, no one is certain who will be comming, and everyone is questioning which traditions must be carried on, while quietly allowing others to be forgoten forever.
Year after year, we grow eager for this magical night...  it has arrived!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be mindful of others, currently my Blog Comments are open to Anonymous Users. Abuse of this privilage will force me to limit Comments to Registered Users. Authors Note: Comments are not moderated, therfore opinons expressed here are not approved by the blog Author.